Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Thankfulness

I was going to write about Matthew 16 this week, but life can really get in the way sometimes. In this case, it did so in a wonderful way. Some of my new friends from Slovakia came to town for a youth leadership conference, and I've had the chance to spend more time with them than I could have hoped. This group represents Josiah Venture, and last night they spoke to a group of college students about the work that they're doing in eastern Europe. I was reminded again of the breadth of God's love, that He is as real in the mountains of Europe as he is in the foothills of North America. Our prayer is for Him to be relevant in those places as well.

The team spoke briefly last night about the support they receive from churches here in the States, and read from Colossians 1:3-6, where Paul talks about being thankful for those walking in the faith with him:
We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you..."
 What an appropriate passage just a week before Thanksgiving. Mike Sullivan, one of the leaders and a missionary who has lived in Slovakia for nine years, said that many of the students they work with think all Americans are "cool", and that our presence on mission trips is a huge door to presenting the gospel. Then he encouraged us not to feel guilty or trivialized by this fact, but to consider ourselves blessed to be American. That beyond the material comforts that Americans enjoy more than other nations around the world, we should consider it a blessing if our "American-ness" in any way allows us the opportunity to advance the Kingdom. In a world where being American is often grounds for being criticized (and often with just cause), this concept brings a smile to my face.

As Thanksgiving and the Christmas season rapidly approaches, I want to take the time to tell all of you how thankful I am for you. For long-time friends and new ones alike...thank you for your hospitality, support, laughter and inclusion. For my family...thank you for your love and the example that you set for me. For my Christian brothers and sisters...thank you for your courage, humility and steadiness, and for always challenging me in new and exciting ways. For my friends who believe something different, or maybe aren't even sure...thank you for your tolerance and your openness. I pray that these writings will spark continued conversation and discussion about this faith that drives my life.

I'll likely not be writing next week, although I'll try to drop in a holiday greeting or something. Please be safe, and have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment