Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Eternal Moment

Just the other day, I had what I call an "eternity moment." This isn't as deep or symbolic as it might sound. It's simply what happens to me when I stop to consider, more than just as a passing thought, what the concept of eternity really means. As a teenager, I used to lie awake at night contemplating how anything could have no end. Even something as unimaginably huge as the universe has an edge, an end point, a boundary. The more I struggled to envision what eternity must look like, the more I felt the vastness of it pressing down on me, right into my bedroom, a kind of mental paralysis setting in as I realized I was never quite going to get it. Lots of late nights staring at the ceiling. But we'll get back to that
I recently finished the book Radical by David Platt. I'd heard the book recommended repeatedly by friends and members of my church, and I can say that they were all justified. It is a truly impactful and refreshing approach to the modern church and its proper role in the world. But while that is certainly a worthy topic for a book, I'd take a different approach than some of my friends: I would not recommend it to just anyone. This is a book for someone who is looking for the people of Christ to represent something more, something greater, something  that looks more like...well, Christ. There are a lot of believers out there who frankly aren't ready for that message yet. And there are plenty of non-Christians who would probably receive it more readily than their church-going counterparts, as it paints the picture of a church that doesn't abuse them, lie to them, judge them or embody hypocrisy in their community. In short, it's a challenging message, a wake-up call to what the Bible actually calls his church to do. So be careful about sharing this book with just anyone, or at least be very upfront with them about what they're about to read. Perhaps a better word than careful would be intentional; have a purpose behind your recommendation.
So let's get back to my original story, and tie these two tales together. The teenage me would not have been a good candidate to read Radical. Because, as you could probably tell from my description earlier, for teenage me, the idea of eternity inspired fear. I am a truly logical person (though my friends might dispute this!), and something too big for me to wrap my mind around was something that deserved skepticism and caution. As the years have gone by, my faith has grown, and while I still can't get my brain to process the eternal, it now fills me rather with hope than doubt. But I also no longer doubt that eternity is a very real thing, not just a theory or an abstract concept. And Radical reminded me that a church that believes in eternity must be in the business of the eternal.
In just over a week, I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to return to Slovakia to teach English to high school students there, and to share with them the love of Jesus. It is this type of work that the church is called to do, and I am honored to be a part of it. I am praying confidently that this trip will have an impact that carries into eternity. For you the reader, I pray that you might begin to consider similar opportunities for yourselves.
For those of you who haven't heard my story from last summer, or have heard it but never read my recounting of it, you can read about it here.  I intend to journal and notate much more frequently this time around, and should have much to share in a few weeks when I return.
Until then, be blessed!
David

1 comment:

  1. Glad you read Radical! I read it about a year and a half ago. You're right, it's not a book for just anyone.

    ReplyDelete